Welcome, Visitor Number

Translate

21 December 2017

Post 580: THE REMARKABLE 'LOVESICK DUO'

In my Post Number 542, I tried to answer the question 'How many musicians does it take to form a jazz band?'. You can read that post BY CLICKING HERE.

Today a reader of my blog, Graham Beech, would like to draw to your attention a wonderful little 'band' that consists of only two musicians. Graham writes:

They are based in Italy and their names are Paolo Roberto Pianezza and Francesca Alinovi. They perform as The Lovesick Duo.
I knew nothing about these musicians until recently, when I came across their videos on YouTube and was greatly impressed by their energy, musicianship, teamwork and their appeal to both young and old.

Paolo is brilliant on the resonator guitar and is also a very good singer, so his voice adds a third 'instrument' to their performance.

Francesca is also to be heard singing occasionally, putting in a perfect harmony. We have noticed in recent years that there has been a conspicuous rise in the number of ladies playing string bass in our kind of music. I would rate Francesca right up there with the very best of them.

They play a wide variety of music and I suppose they would not describe themselves as a traditional jazz band. But they play exactly as traditional jazz musicians aspire to do. For example, try their version of 'I Wish I Could Shimmy Like My Sister Kate': CLICK HERE. Great playing. Great entertaining. They are an example to us all.

And what about this 2017 video as an illustration of their talent and virtuosity? CLICK HERE.

Another good introduction to them is this video (CLICK ON HERE): you get to meet the couple at Lake Garda and can then enjoy an energetic performance of 'No Particular Place to Go'. Finally, CLICK HERE to see them busking very pleasantly in Venice.